A few of us over at XDA have been trying to root the Eve for a few weeks now, and we've finally done it! W00t!
This guide assumes you already have ADB access to your device. If you don't you need to google for the android SDK and get yourself connected.
Let me know how this works for you all, or if anything is unclear. 🙂
- Download this version of Superuser Whitelist and unpack it somewhere safe
- On the GW620 dial "3845#*620#" to get in to the secret menu
- Tap "Module Test" then tap "Stability Test" then tap "Enable Root Permission"
- Open a shell/command prompt/terminal. (cmd, or bash, or zsh, or whatever you use)
- Type "adb shell" (You may need to use "/path/to/android/sdk/tools/adb shell")
- You should get a #. If you get a $ then something didn't work. Shutdown the phone and PC and start again from 2)
- If you get a # then all is well. Type "exit" to return to your PCs command prompt.
- Type "adb remount" to remount the GW620's file system as read-write so we can make changes.
- Type "cd /path/to/the/unzipped/superuser.zip"
- Type "adb shell cat /system/xbin/su > /system/xbin/su.original"
- Type "adb push bin/su /system/xbin/su"
- Type "adb push bin/su /system/bin/su" (You need this one too, as some apps look for it there. E.g. Quickboot)
- Type "adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su"
- Type "adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su"
- Type "adb install bin/Superuser.apk"
Done. That's it. You should now be able to run apps that require root. If an app needs root access a window will pop up on the phone asking for permission to use root.