So, I’ve been running my 1.6 Apps2SD image for a few days now, and I’m loving it so far!
My favourite improvements are:
- Battery life
- It used to last about 24 hrs for me, unless I hardly used the phone at all. It seems like I’m getting around %50 more life. My last charge cycle took 1day, 16hrs to drop from %100 to 5%. Not too shabby. That’s with wifi, Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, and Weather all running in the background. 🙂
- It’s totally subjective, but it feels like there are more apps available in the market for this version.
- Wooo! Dosbox works. I just wish World Of Xeen was playable.
- Oh dropbear, how to a love thee, let me count the ways!
- The ability to ssh to the phone instead of using adb shell is a HUGE improvement. Cursor keys work as expected, Nano works as expected, bash tab completion, colour ls even in Windows, the list goes on and on. This may be my most favourite new feature.
We’ve also had some great ideas over on the XDA thread. I’m going to work on making a very flexible boot.img that will allow a number of different things:
- Non nandroid flashing.
- You’ll have to nandroid the boot.img on once, but after that it’ll give you the option of flashing a firmware file from /sdcard during bootup.
- Recovery boot
- I may be able to make something that’ll boot up a recovery image from /sdcard so we can make+restore nandroid backups and do other recovery stuff during bootup without needing to use “fastboot boot everecovery01a.img” This will also allow Windows users to back up their phones without needing a linux VM or access to a Mac.
I’ll be working on this today, and will provide an update later on. I expect I’ll be able to get 1 working today, but 2 will be a little trickier.